Tips for Selling Your Home During the Holidays
It’s official! The holiday season is upon us, and although many people consider this the worst time to put a home on the market, we’re here to tell you that this simply doesn’t have to be true. After all, the holiday season does come with certain advantages, aside from the fun, festive décor. For example, holiday buyers tend to be more serious about closing a deal quickly, and your competition will be less fierce with fewer homes on the market. So, if you don’t want to wait for spring to sell your Chicago real estate, here are some tips that will help you make the most of your winter listing:
- Hire a reliable real estate agent – The holidays are a very busy time for everyone. So, be sure to find an agent who will work hard for you and won’t disappear throughout the season. If you’re not sure where to start, ask for recommendations from friends and family. They may know of someone who will not only be there for you but go above and beyond to sell your home.
- Target motivated buyers – Once you find your agent, work closely with them to target buyers on a specific deadline, including those relocating for jobs, investors on tax deadlines, students and staff, etc. These are the kinds of buyers who need to move quickly and will be house hunting during the holidays
- Prioritize curb appeal – Let’s face it, winter isn’t exactly the prettiest time of year when it comes to nature highlighting the features of a home (with the exception a lovely snowfall, perhaps). You have bare, brown trees and dead grass; there’s nothing for your home to hide behind. So, don’t forget just how important curb appeal will be. Spruce things up a bit, if needed, and treat your home to some paint touchups, clean out those gutters, clean up your yard from natural debris and shovel all walkways. Remember, first impressions are everything!
- Decorate, but don’t go overboard – Whether it’s the holiday cheer or families coming together, most homes tend to look their best during the holiday season. But, when putting your home on the market, do be cautious of spreading too much cheer. Too much décor can make your home look cramped and will distract buyers from seeing the home itself.
- Take professional photos – As the holidays set in, so too will the seasonal weather. This means that more homebuyers are going to start their house hunting searches online, from the comfort of their own homes as they browse through listings online. Your photos on these listings will, therefore, be your first impression, so again, make it count. Give them lots of high-quality, flattering photos of your home, and if possible, don’t forget to share photos from the warmer seasons so that interested buyers can see the home in all of its glory year-round.
- Create a video tour – Just as the weather might send more homebuyers and their searches over to the web to view photos of a home, these same parties will also be very interested in viewing video walk-throughs. These are great for buyers on a time crunch, too, who simply don’t have the time to do a physical walk-through before making an offer.
- Make showings cozy – Give potential home buyers a place to escape from the cold seasonal weather by making your home more inviting during showings. You might consider laying out some holiday treats, turning up the heat and playing some relaxing classical music. These acts make buyers want to spend more time in your home, and that means more time for them to admire your home and fall in love.
- Don’t stress – When all is said and done, the most important thing that you can do to sell your home is to just relax. The holidays are stressful enough, so don’t put more pressure on yourself.
Selling a home during the holidays is really no different than selling during any other time of year. The process, no matter the season, is the same so long as you pay attention to the details and keep these seasonal tips in mind. If you’d like to learn more about selling a home in or around Chicago, contact us today.