How to Make the Most of a Summer in Chicago
Are you ready to squeeze every ounce of fun out of this summer? Then, get the sunblock ready, grab some friends, and make a bucket list, because we’re breaking down all of the best ways you can spend a summer day in Chicagoland! From rooftop dining to beach days, concerts, and festivals, you really can do it all right here in your own backyard.
So, make the most of the season’s picture-perfect weather, and get out there and experience it all. Here’s where you can start:
- Hit the beaches – Since Chicagoans only get this brief three-to-four-month respite from the chilling weather, summertime means spending as much time as possible in the sun. And, what better way to do that than on the shores of Lake Michigan? Chicago’s beaches are beautiful with all kinds of fun sandy hangouts up and down the coast. All you need is your suit, sunblock, and some friends to enjoy the perfect day in the sun.
- Eat frozen treats – If you know anything about Chicago’s food scene, you know that it raises the stakes on the possibility of flavors. And, this, of course, even spans the realm of ice cream. From decorated popsicles to sundaes, to hand-spun custard, to towering cones, to traditional gelato, there’s no better way to cool down than with a nice frozen treat from one of Chicago’s many famous ice cream shops.
- Head to the rooftops – Sipping a fresh, cold brew or cocktail while snacking on small plates at a rooftop bar is what summer dreams are made of. Chicagoans love a good drink in the sun, and summertime lets us take that to the next level (literally) as the rooftops open up for all to enjoy the fresh air and gorgeous skyline views. And, these rooftop spaces come in all shapes and sizes for every taste and desire, from chic jazz bars to more relaxed beer gardens with games of shuffleboard.
- Find a beer festival – For those looking to try some new brews and meet new people, you won’t want to miss Chicago’s beer festivals. From stouts, ales, lagers, ciders, sours, and more, you can taste your way through all of the flavors area breweries have to offer.
- Check out the music scene – Summertime is music festival time, and Chicago is home to some of the most legendary festivals, from Lollapalooza to Pitchfork, to the Chicago Blues Festival. There’s something every weekend, even neighborhood street festivals with plenty of opportunities to enjoy live music.
- Watch a film in the park – Why stay indoors and pay for a pricey cinema ticket when you can enjoy the fresh summer air and see a great film in one of Chicago’s gorgeous parks? All across the city, more than 200 park screenings are planned. So, grab a blanket and your favorite movie treats, and check out the Chicago Park District’s annual lineup for Movies in the Parks.
With activities like these and so many more that simply won’t fit into a single post, there’s only one question left to ask – What are you waiting for? It’s time to get out, and enjoy the season!