5 Things to Do in Chicago Before Summer Ends
As we move into August, we encourage you to take advantage of the summer days while they last. But don’t worry, the fun’s not over yet! There’s still plenty of time and plenty to do to make the most of the sunshine in the city. Whether you’re looking to let loose at a summer festival or just looking to spend a beautiful evening on a picnic blanket under the stars with your better half, Chicago summers are packed with entertainment for absolutely everyone.
Here are five ways we plan to spend our time around Chicago before summer ends:
- Have a lazy beach day – Summertime in Chicago means spending plenty of time on our city’s gorgeous shores. With sandy lakefront hangouts along our eastern border, there’s just no excuse to waste these last days of summer indoors. So, throw on a suit, and go splash around in the sun, play some beach volleyball or simply work on your tan before the Fall chill moves in.
- Get your groove on at a music festival – Chicago is the capital of summer music fests, and while some of the bigger-named festivals have already passed through, there’s still plenty to look forward to this month. Whether it’s rock, pop, hip hop, jazz or something else altogether, there’s a musical event coming to town to serenade every soul. Closing out the summer, you can still catch Lyrical Lemonade Summer Smash, Big Evanston Block Party, Chicago Jazz Festival and North Coast Music Festival.
- Party at a street festival – There’s plenty of room on the crowded pavement in Chicago for summer street festivals, and they’re still going strong. This month, Chicagoans can look forward to Edge Fest, the Illinois State Fair, the Chicago Hot Dog Fest, Festival Cubano, Retro on Roscoe, the Ginza Holiday Festival, the Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest, Edison Park Fest, Sangria Festival Chicago, the Chicago Air and Water Show, Taste of Greektown and more!
- Grab a drink at a beer festival – There’s still time to find your new favorite brewery at one of Chicago’s many beer-soaked festivals. Closing out this season event-goers can check out Friday Night Flights, Lagunitas Beer Circus, or go on one of the city’s hottest brewery tours.
- Catch a free movie in the park – What better way to take in the last of the summer soaked days than with a flick and a picnic in the park. This year’s schedule has included over 200 screenings in parks all across the city. For a complete list of August screenings, click here.
Don’t pack away that summer wardrobe just yet! It’s time to squeeze every last sun-shining moment of fun out of summer in the city. So, get out there while you still can (without a coat, that is), and take advantage of all of the amazing concerts, festivals, beaches and excitement that Chicago has to offer.